Lansdowne is a beautiful highland resort within a short distance from Kotdwar. Lansdowne is in Uttarakhand’s Pauri Garhwal District. It is a clean and beautiful hill station that is home to the Garhwal Regiment. It’s one of those getaway areas where your mind and body can rest after a long day at the workplace. This travel guide to Lansdowne will help you to explore the town. You can visit this hill station by just choosing any of the Lansdowne tour packages offered by Lock Your Trip. Lansdowne offers a breathtaking view of mountain ranges and snow-capped summits. This is why nature lovers should visit this hill station.
Our travel guide to Lansdowne is packed with information on the greatest places to see and fantastic activities to do, making it a must-read for anybody searching for an unforgettable vacation.
How To Reach Lansdowne
Lansdowne has excellent highway connections to neighbouring cities and states. The route through Delhi is NH 119, which will take you directly to the location. As a result, the best method to get here is by road.
- By Air: If you’re flying in, the closest airport is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun, which is around 148 kilometres from Lansdowne.
- By Train: Tourists who wish to travel by train must leave in Kotdwar, which is 40 kilometres from Lansdowne.
- By Road: Lansdowne is connected to larger cities like Delhi via a network of well-maintained roadways. The most accessible route is National Highway 119. Those on the bus can get out at Kotdwar, where private and shared taxis to Lansdowne are available.
Best Time To Visit Lansdowne
In the summer, the weather is nice here, as it is in other Garhwal hill stations, and tourists have plenty of possibilities to appreciate nature’s treasures. The Winter months may be bitterly cold. In this travel guide to Lansdowne, we will describe all three seasons to let you choose the best time for you.
- Summer: Summer is Lansdowne’s busiest season, with visitors arriving from all over the country to enjoy some quiet and alone time among the stunning snow-capped Himalayas. Summers also have a pleasant climate with a bright sky and moderate temperatures, allowing people to make the most of their vacation by going climbing or hiking in Tip in Top and Hawagarh, or spotting rare kinds of birds, particularly in the Kalagarh Wildlife Sanctuary, or even boating on the Kho River.
- Monsoon: Many people avoid Lansdowne during the monsoon season because of the constant heavy rain and often foggy views that cause poor visibility. Rains in and around Lansdowne may cause dangerous road conditions or landslides, thus it is not recommended to visit the town at this time. However, if you are willing to take on the risks and weather conditions, you will be pleased since monsoons in Lansdowne are one of the most captivating sights to behold. Early mornings could see the entire town coated in fog, and the environment sparkles with lush green trees and woodlands, making the danger acceptable for some time.
- Winter: Lansdowne in the winter is a wonderful sight. In the winter, temperatures vary from 4 to 15 degrees Celsius. Due to periodic snowfall from October to January, the entire town is blanketed in pale white snow. If you want to see the monsoon views and their captivating beauty, the early months of the winter season could be better and more accessible while also being less dangerous. Winter also comes in the many holiday events, all of which are greeted with energy and excitement. However, temperatures in the winter may frequently dip below freezing, making it necessary to bring proper gear.
History Of Lansdowne
The history of Lansdowne, which is located in Uttarakhand’s Garhwal region, is impacted by British rule during the Raj era. The location was previously known as ‘Kalundanda,’ which means Black hill in Garhwali, and was named after Viceroy of India Lord Lansdowne in 1857. The Garhwal Rifles cantonment was created here by the British authorities, and the first battalion was transferred from Almora to Lansdowne. The unspoiled tranquilly and calmly made it a perfect hideaway for soldiers and warriors. Central Lansdowne is home to one of the country’s oldest war museums. It is solely open to army personnel and displays the area’s historical significance.
Places To Visit In Lansdowne
Lansdowne is a popular tourist destination. This town is really beautiful, and the tranquilly is unique. The natural beauty of the area is absolutely captivating, and you will enjoy every minute of your stay. With that considered, there are a few areas that stand out from the crowd; places that may be classified as tourist attractions. This section of the travel guide to Lansdowne includes a list of all tourist attractions in Lansdowne for a fast overview.
- Bhulla Taal
- Tip N Top
- Bhim Pakora
- Durga Devi Temple
- St. John’s Church
- Kaleshwar Temple
- Hawa Ghar
- War Memorial
- Darwan Singh Museum
- St. Mary’s Church
- Garhwali Mess
Things To Do In Lansdowne
What should you do in Lansdowne? The answer is ‘absolutely nothing,’ but that is why you came here in the first place. There are no daring activities, large marketplaces, or a broad list of restaurants to choose from. Simply a quiet and pleasant small town nestled in the hills where you may sit and rest for hours. A journey here allows you to escape the routine of everyday life and spend quality time with yourself and your loved ones.
Apart from the places I listed above, Kalagarh Wildlife Sanctuary is a neighbouring attraction that draws a large number of visitors each year. It is a natural part of the Corbett environment and a wildlife and picture heaven. It is not quite close to Lansdowne, and to reach here, one must first travel to Kotdwar and then to Kalagarh. If you enjoy trekking, you can spend a couple of days in the woods. Another favourite pastime is bird watching, however, you may have to go to Kalagarh to do so. Boating on Bhulla Lake, on the other hand, is the most basic activity.
Where And What To Eat In Lansdowne
Lansdowne has a wide range of cafes and restaurants where you may discover a varied cuisine. You’ll find everything here, from North Indian to South Indian to Chinese. However, there is no special meal that is unique to Lansdowne; it is just Indian food. Hotels in this area are a little pricey and frequently overcharge. Instead, We suggest that you go outside, take a stroll through the market, and dine at one of the many local eateries.
Where To Stay In Lansdowne
In Lansdowne, you may stay in a comfortable hotel or resort. There are a variety of lodgings available, ranging from economy to luxury. Lansdowne is still a bit away from the urbanization, therefore there aren’t many hotels here. A few fine hotels are located a short distance from the main hill station, while one or two colonial-style hotels are located inside the premises.
Clothes For Lansdowne
What clothes you must bring to Lansdowne will totally depend on your arrival time. Heavy woollens, gloves, woollen socks, muffler, thermals, and a high quality heavy and windproof jacket are required in January and February. Light woollens or a jacket would be fine if you arrive in March. From April to August, you’ll just need to bring your ordinary cotton clothing. In July and August, you should carry clothing that dries quickly in case you get soaked in the rain. September and October will be similar to March, requiring light woollens and a jacket. The weather in November and December will be similar to that in January and February, so bring heavy woollens and a windproof warm jacket.