On-site concrete is one of the most used and famous construction materials. It includes many ingredients having different functions. Well, the basic materials are lime, cement, water, admixtures and aggregates. But still, it needs to mix carefully. However, the properties of concrete totally depend on its mixing.
Now in this article, we will discuss the dos and don’t dos of mixing concrete. But first, let’s have a look over the on-site concrete and its properties.
What Is On Site Mixed Concrete?
On-site concrete is an important element for any construction project. For improving settling time and strength, calcium chloride is used in concrete.
Most probably concrete is batched and mixed at the site of a construction project. Also, it is known as a mix on site concrete. It is important for improving the efficiency of resources and reducing the wastage of resources required in the entire construction process.
Now let’s take a look over the dos and don’t dos of mixing concrete.
Dos Of Mixing Concrete
- First and foremost, hire a professional contractor for making your project successful.
- Check out the contractor is hiring skilled labour or not.
- Never leave concrete mixing on labour, make sure the process is done under the guidance of skilled professionals.
- Check whether labours are wearing Personal Protective Equipment for mixing concrete.
- Concrete mixing should be done with proper tools as well as adequate manpower.
- Remember choosing the right cement for every job. Ask the contractor if you have any confusion.
- The condition should be favourable for mixing concrete.
- Select exact concrete as per requirements.
- Initially, do mix dry concrete equally, such as cement, fine aggregates (manually or in transit mixture) coarse aggregates, as per predetermined quantity. Remember, a good contractor will first mix the dry concrete.
- Pour water only after deciding the quantity. Before adding concrete measure, the amount of water with a container.
- Thoroughly mix the wet concrete for 2 minutes at least.
- Don’t forget to do the slump test.
- Within 15 minutes of pouring water, concrete should be placed. If delayed, pour some fresh cement and ask your contractor for help.
- Proper compaction is needed for removing the air from concrete.
- Pour the concrete throughout in an even thickness.
Don’t Dos Of Mixing Concrete
- Never use damaged formwork. Concrete can be affected by this.
- Try not to use unwashed aggregates; it can form weak concrete and substantial cost of maintenance.\
- Don’t do concreting before casting a concrete cube.
- Ask your contractor to use gamellas, and don’t go for volumetric batching.
- Don’t use excessive fines, high concrete slumps, and excessively high air content.
- The concrete mixer should not be run for more than two minutes.
- During concrete formation, add required water.
- While pouring doesn’t use semi-dry concrete. The chances of a honeycomb inside the concrete will be higher.
- Dropping concrete from a height can cause segregation.
- When pouring concrete doesn’t allow heaping of concrete.
- Before 30 minutes of initial setting, don’t vibrate the concrete.
- Night time is not suitable for mixing concrete unless it is very important. Every site doesn’t have proper lighting or arrangements so it may cause major errors.
- Don’t sprinkle or throw water on the surface of the concrete.
- Remember to pour concrete that is needed, don’t try to finish the dried concrete.
Avoid mixing concrete on rainy days.
Now, let’s take a glance at the benefits you will see after mixing concrete in the right manner.
What Are The Advantages Of On Site Mixed Concrete
On site concrete is the best choice for any construction project. There are numerous advantages of concrete on site, some are listed below:
On site mix concrete is done by the traditional method too. Here you can instruct contractors and labour about specific requirements. You will see the entire concrete mixing process in front of your eyes which makes you feel stress-free about the final structure.
2. Good Quality
Most probably, you will receive mix on site concrete on a precise volume. Mixing on site will allow you to get fresh concrete in front of your eyes.
And if you are opting for drum mixers, it is affordable, high-quality, and efficient. So, in the end, having great quality at an affordable price is not a bad deal.
Cement mixed on site is always fresh to use. You will not face delays like traffic or other mishaps because they will be made under your surveillance. Furthermore, you will not be worried about the contractor using pre-mixed or decaying concrete. Because concrete for your project will be created in front of your eyes.
On site mix concrete is a multifaceted building material. It can be used for scanty as well as comprehensive construction projects. It commonly indicates that it is adaptable and can be used for any project.
If you implement these tips of dos and don’t dos of mixing concrete; you will do the job right. Whether you are a newcomer or an experienced one, these skills will benefit you over the project.
Do you have any other tips to mention? Please tell us in the comment section!